Sunday, August 31, 2014

Weekly Summary 8/31/14

This is it! Students come back on Wednesday!  Lots of thoughts and feelings happening right now.  Lets see if I can make a 3-2-1 summary of it.  If you would like to join in on the challenge, click here.


3 things I found out this week that have me worried:
1. Got a call from my father-in-law this week and my mother-in-law is not doing too well.  They found "stuff" on her lungs and pancreas, but since it is the holiday weekend they won't be able to do anything until Tuesday.  My fil had to take her to the hospital yesterday because she was in a lot of pain and turned yellow.  The thing that is the hardest for me and my husband is that they are in Kentucky while we are in New Jersey.  I really want to be there right now to support them in person and it really has me upset.

2. My school has partnered with Achievement Network Inc, to do our benchmarks and coaching.  While I'm optimistic that this is going to be a good thing and help our school out, I am worried because I'm not sure how the pacing is going to work.  First of all, it is totally different from our pacing last year and our textbook.  I have plenty of experience not following a textbook and that doesn't bother me too much, its just that this textbook series that we adopted last year seemed to be laid out pretty well and the topic flowed nicely.  Also it seems like a lot to fit in before the exams.  I'm sure it will be ok, just has me worried since its new.

3. All of the teachers in my school are going to be required to co-teach some classes this year.  I am actually super excited about this since I am going to get to co-teach in two of the eighth grade classes 3 times a week.  These are my last year 7th graders so I'm happy I'll get to continue a little bit with them.  I am worried about the logistics of co-teaching with the other teacher.  We get along fine, but I think we have very different styles.  I guess it could be worse since I'm only going into his classes and he is not co-teaching in mine.  He is absent a lot and does need a lot of "bathroom breaks" so I guess my biggest worry is that I'll be responsible for teaching the majority of these classes in addition to my own.

2 things I am enjoying this week:
1. I found a case with some old CD's in them and I have been really, really, really enjoying listening to them.  I almost forgot how happy I am when listening to the band Rush.

2. Here is another one that could go up in the 3 things that happened that have me worried this week, but I'll focus on the positive side of it.  My baby girl got her DRIVER'S LICENCE!!!  I am a nervous wreck everytime she leaves the house, but on another note I've noticed our relationship is changing  and its actually pretty nice.  She has always been a very good child and never given us any trouble (other than getting C's in math which burns me up!!)  I can't really describe how this is changing but we spent the whole day together and it was really noticable.  She is becoming a grown up and although I am sad she is not my baby anymore, I am proud of the woman she is becoming.

1 thing I am looking forward to this week:
Meeting my new classes!!  I always go into the first day knowing my 8th graders since I had them as 7th graders, so this year I am getting four new groups of kids to get to know.  I am excited since I have watched most of them grow from 1st graders and 2nd graders at my school!  Its going to be a great year and I can't wait for it to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment