Thursday, August 28, 2014

My Biggest Teaching Accomplishment So Far

Today was an amazing day.  We've been back at school since Monday with the usual PD and classroom set up.  We spent the morning learning about our new partnership with Achivement Network, which seems pretty cool and scary at the same time and then after lunch we went to an offsite PD.  It turned out to be one of those indoor trampoline places.

Let me just say that it was a blast!  We had so much fun and acted like kids for the whole two hours we were there.  The first thing we did was the open jump.  I learned how to do a jump and turn off the wall, mastered the butt bounce and the knee bounce!  After the open jump we played a game of dodgeball.  I didn't want to play and was going to stay in the open jump for awhile but decided to go ahead and play.  I had no clue what I was doing but I ended up being the last man standing and won the game for our team!
After some more open jump, we went over to the foam pit.  This is where two really cool things happened.
First thing was only cool in the after thought.  We were having a race, split into two groups and one person from each team jumped down the strip into the foam pit and had to go all the way across and get out.  I am not a person who curses but when I got out I had to exclaim it was f****** hard!  Anyway, one of our teachers who is kind of an outcast at our school got stuck trying to get out.  I could see that he was struggling so I immediately ran over to help.  Turns out he had asthma and was really having a bad time.  The nice thing though was that he really appreciated the help and I felt glad that I didn't even think about it while others just stood around and almost didn't care.
The next thing was when one of the 4th grader teachers was getting ready to go.  I told her how when I was in there I noticed that the natrual instinct is to try and push your upper body up, but what you really have to do is focus on getting you knees up and let them propel you forward.  I must have explained it like 10 times before she got to go, but when she did it was like watching perfection! She totally did exactly what I told her to do and just glided across the foam blocks.  It was AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment