Sunday, July 6, 2014

Standards Sunday

July Blogging Challenge -Day 6


Chapter 2 is titled Whole Number Multiplication and Division and these are the standards it addresses:

Numbers and Operations in Base Ten
5.NBT.2 
Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10 , and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10.  Use whole number exponents to denote powers of 10.

5.NBT.5
Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.

5.NBT.6
Find whole-number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division.  Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.

Operations and Algebraic Thinking
5.OA.1
Use parentheses, brackets, or braces in numerical expressions, and evaluate expression with these symbols.

5.OA.2
Write simple expressions that record calculations with numbers, and interpret numerical expressions without evaluating them.

5.OA.3
Generate two numerical patterns using two given rules.  Identify apparent relationships between corresponding terms. Form ordered pairs consisting of corresponding terms from the two patterns and graph the ordered pairs on a coordinate plane.

As I read these standards my mind is flipping through images of foldables I've seen on these topics.  I am so glad I decided to use  ISNs again this year.

Again I get so excited to be going back to basics.  I feel like in 7th/8th the students still struggle with this.   I  wonder what are the reasons for the struggle?  Is it because students don't master the basic multiplication facts in 3rd or 4th grade?  Or do they not get enough practice?  It going to be very interesting to have the time to investigate this. One thing I'm going to do this week is get a head start on my investigating.  My niece and nephew are going to be spending a few hours everyday with us while my sister works, this means I will have a 6th grader, 5th grader and 3rd grader in my house :)  You can bet we are going to be doing some math this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment