Friday, March 1, 2013

The KWC Chart

This week I was introduced to the KWC chart.  For those who don't know, it is similar to the KWL organizer but a little different.  The way it was explained to me is this, it an organizer for word problems:
K-What do you know?
W-What are you trying to find out, or what is the question?
C- Conditions or considerations

The first thing that stuck out to me with this, is that I've already after 3 days started using it like it is second nature.  Not only writing it out with my kids when we do problems together, but informally when they are working independently and get stuck. I find myself automatically asking "well, what do you know?  Whats the question?  What do we have to watch out for?"  I guess these are questions I've asked all along, but since we started using the chart I can see that there is hope that the kids will start asking THEMSELVES these questions automatically!  Wooo hoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment