Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Today I stumbled upon a pretty neat classroom management technique.  I know this is probably so old and maybe even a "duh" type of thing, but sometimes self discovery is so fun.  Anyway, I've had such a problem with kids not paying attention, side conversations, etc.  that today I just got out a composition notebook and started jotting down notes here and there when students were not doing what they were supposed to be doing.  No nagging or yelling just writing.  When they asked me what I was doing I told them I was just "documenting" and when they asked about what or why, I simply shared that when a parent or the principal wanted to know why so and so didn't do so well on a test or concept, I can tell them exactly why.  I told them they are all smart kids and the only reason they do not do well in math is because they do not take their class time seriously.
I had 5 of the best classes I've had in a long time!!  It was awesome!  I am excited to see how this continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment