Saturday, July 13, 2013

An Awesome Surprise!

So yesterday I found out that I was nominated for a Liebster Award by Beth at http://algebrasfriend.blogspot.com!!
What is a Liebster Award?  I had no idea until I checked out Beth's page and googled a little!  It is an award for blogs with less than 200 followers in order to hopefully promote that blog and show appreciation.  Anyone can nominate a blog and in order to accept it there are a few things you should do:

Link back to the person who nominated you - Thanks Beth!! http://algebrasfriend.blogspot.com

Nominate 5 more blogs... Here are my nominees. These are other mathy blogs that I visit a lot and really appreciate the time and effort these bloggers take to share!

Answer the questions the nominator posted on their blog.  Here are my answers to Beth's questions:
 1. What is your favorite aspect in teaching? 
I absolutely love those light bulb moments when a kid really “gets it” especially when they have been struggling with a concept.

2. How do you re-energize? 
I pick things up and put them down…LOL, if you are not familiar with that Planet Fitness commercial, it means I workout!  I was a competitive bodybuilder and still lift at least 3 times a week.  I am currently doing the new Shaun T of Insanity workout program called Focus T25 which are 25 minute mostly cardio workouts.

3. What is your favorite day-trip? 
My favorite day trip is visiting the town of New Hope in PA.  My family is very “artsy” and we just feel so at home there.  Lots of cool little shops, restaurants and scenic nature trails.

4. If you cook, what’s your favorite recipe? If don’t cook, what do you order out most often? 
Hmmm, I guess my favorite recipe, which I don’t make often is lasagna.  Its my hubby’s favorite, I guess because I go heavy with the cheese!  I have some really weird bodybuilding recipes that I make and LOVE like putting sugar free chocolate sauce in my egg whites and cook like a crepe, when it is down I smear it with natural peanut butter. 

5. What colors do you use in your classroom décor? 
Well, I have three walls that are a dingy beige color and one that is a lightish green.  Last year I used a dark blue which actually looked kind of good.  I haven’t decided what I am going to do this year. 


6. If you could have dinner with a current famous person in our world, who would choose and why? 
Oh this is an easy one!  Malala Yousafzai.  I pick Malala because  she just amazes me.  She is so smart, passionate and young…it would be refreshing to sit and talk with her.  On the other hand, another famous person I would love to have dinner with would be Patrick Stump.  He is the singer in the band Fall Out Boy.  They are my daughter’s favorite band and I find him to be the sweetest rockstar in history!  He is polite, very responsive to his fans…answers tweets, emails etc and even stays after almost every show to meet fans and take pictures. 
My girl and her favorite singer!

7. What is your favorite TV show? 
Right now again, due to my 16 year old daughter’s influence it is Teen Wolf (don’t judge!)

8. What is your favorite school supply? 
OMG, I think the whole reason I became a teacher is because of my love of all school supplies!!!  If I had to pick one, it would be my planner! 

9. What advice would you like to share with the parents of your students? 
Enforce your child’s bedtime!  I have been guilty of letting my kids stay up too late and I see what a difference it makes in their thinking.  Too many kids come to school exhausted, they can’t function like that let alone be the best they can be!

10. When you travel do you prefer a tent, a camper, or a hotel room? 
Hmmm, it depends.  I really like camping so I don’t mind a tent.  Never camped in a camper and hotel’s are ok but like I said it depends on the type of trip.  If I was going somewhere that was not a camping trip, but I had access to either a hotel and tent I would pick the hotel.  If I was going camping or hiking or some other nature/outdoorsy trip I’d pick the tent!

11. What inspired you to blog?
Another easy one.  I blog for two reasons, the main is it is supposed to be reflection for me.  Its a place to jot down ideas and reflect on what is happening in my classroom. The other is to hopefully get feedback from other teachers on some of my ideas.  This is really important to me because I teach in a very small charter school so I am the ONLY 7/8th math teacher.  

Share 11 random facts about yourself:

1. I love almost all of my daughters favorite pop/punk bands such as Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance and Panic! At the Disco.
2. My all time favorite band is Tool.
3.  I won a bodybuilding competition in 2008.
4. I’ve been married 24 years to my high school sweetheart!
5. I have two kiddos, Sarah-16 and Nicholas-10
6.  I lived in KY for 5 years and picked up the accent while living there.
7.  When we moved back to NJ lost that southern accent!
8. I didn’t start college until I was 37 years old!
9. Math was my worst subject in middle/high school!
10. My cat, Alice, has a black heart on her side.
11. I like black jellybeans.

and finally Ask your nominees questions:
1. What was your favorite subject in high school/college?
2. Where is your favorite vacation spot?
3. What is your favorite book/movie or play?
4.  Why did you become a teacher?
5. Do you follow your textbook from start to finish?
6. What is your favorite teaching resource?
7. What is/was your favorite lesson to teach?
8.  What kind of music do you like?
9. What is the funniest joke you know?
10.  How did you choose the title of your blog?
11. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

1 comment:

  1. I loved learning more about you! Hope your summer break is fabulous ... looking forward to online learning with blogging buddies this year!

    ReplyDelete