Saturday, September 30, 2017

Year 2 WBT

Gearing up for my move to 3rd grade last year, I became obsessed with learning everything about Whole Brain Teaching. In the past I used Class! Yes! and the scoreboard, but that was all I mastered.  So last year I implemented a little bit more, added 5 Rules, Super Improver Wall, Hands and Eyes and a little bit of Mirror/Words.  It was a challenging class and I didn't keep up with Mirror/Words as much as I wanted but the rest worked pretty well.

This year I had read the book Love and Logic over the summer and knew a teacher that had a lot of success with it, so I wanted to give that management style a try.  I didn't teach my 5 Rules (but kept Class!Yes!, scoreboard and Super Improver Wall) The Love and Logic way has only one rule: You may do anything you want as long as it doesn't cause a problem for me or anyone else.  They are supposed to solve the problem they make or I will do something.  Unfortunately, I was missing something because three weeks in I was not a happy teacher.

So, I tore down my love and logic poster and put up my 5 rules.  By the end of the day I was back in Teacher Heaven!! It amazes me how fast they learn the rules using the mirror words and teach/okay.  Gee maybe they will learn the math I'm teaching if I used the same format? Duh!

My goal for this year is to really implement the WBT lesson format.  I am also determined to get guided math going as well.  So my plan is to use WBT style during the mini lesson.

I just read on someone else's blog the saying Practice=Progress (not perfection) and I really liked that!  So here is to more practice with WBT and I look forward to the progress I will make this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment