Friday, June 28, 2013

Appreciating Summer Break

My husband says I'm a weirdo.  He tells me I am one of those people who can't relax.  Well, he is right.  I don't know how to shut down.  I have to constantly be reading, planning, doing something or I go crazy!
I can read for pleasure, but when I do, I usually devour the book like a box of cookies, and start looking for more (I blew through most of my summer pay last year on amazon.com-darn one click ordering Kindle app!) and I love listening to music, but most of the time I end up singing at the top of my lungs extremely off key, so my kids usually discourage that!
So I've decided to start appreciating all of the free time I have and not worrying about the fact that I'm not "relaxing" or using it the "right" way according to my hubby, who thinks I should be sleeping until noon and then sipping margaritas for whole month of July and August.

Here are some things I am thankful for right now:
1. Sleeping until 7 a.m. -  I usually get up at 4:30 a.m.
2. Being able to lift weights at around 9-10 a.m.  This is the time my body works best for this activity.
3. Being able to take some cool PD classes without having to worry about planning lessons/grading papers.
4. Having the time to read some good math books and participate in an online book study.
5. Even thought it's the 5th thing on the list it is probably the one I appreciate the most...spending time with my kiddos!  So far this week we've been to our community theater's production of Les Miserables, took a trip to New Hope, PA and today will be going to see my niece and nephew in their summer camp play.
6. Teaching a student for 6 weeks who needs an extended school year. I am not great with saving money, so this will definitely help me relax and not feel so stressed out about running out of cash.  It's only 2.5 hours a day so its not going to eat up a ton of time.

First week down, nine more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment